Slow-Cooker Cheesy Bacon-Ranch Potato Soup
Prep: 30 min
Total: 5 hr 45 min
6 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ reduced sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
1 package (1 oz) Hidden Valley™ The Original Ranch™ salad dressing & seasoning mix
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
8 oz Kraft™ Velveeta™ original cheese, cut into cubes
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1. Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Heat 12-inch skillet over medium heat; cook bacon 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble 3 slices of the bacon; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Crumble remaining 3 slices, and transfer to slow cooker.
2. Pour all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings out of skillet. Add onion to skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker. Stir in broth, potatoes and ranch dressing mix.
3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or until bubbly and potatoes are tender.
4. Increase heat setting to High; stir in whipping cream. In small bowl, beat cornstarch and water with whisk. Beat cornstarch mixture into soup; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
5. Add Kraft™ Velveeta™ cheese to slow cooker; stir until melted. Add 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar cheese; stir until melted. Serve soup with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese and reserved crumbled bacon.
Cheddar cheese comes in a variety of types from mild to extra sharp. If you’re looking for a less intense Cheddar flavor, use mild Cheddar. If you enjoy a more intense Cheddar flavor, use sharp Cheddar.
Yukon Gold potatoes have a waxy texture that holds up better than russet or baking potatoes, which tend to fall apart in the slow-cooking process.
(Photo and Recipe curtesy of Betty Crocker)